How to Install Custom ROMs on Android devices (universal guide)
- First of all, on your computer you need to download the proper update file.
- Optional: download the Google apps package if it is not included on the firmware file.
- Save the files on desktop; don’t unzip them.
- Then, connect your handset with the computer.
- Establish the connecting by using the USB cord.
- Copy-paste or drag and drop the downloaded files from desktop to your phone’s (tablet’s) SD card.
- Disconnect the devices by unplugging the USB cable.
- Turn off your smartphone / tablet and wait a few seconds.
- Then reboot your gadget into recovery mode.
- Next, navigate through the recovery mode menu and select “wipe data factory reset”, “wipe cache partition” and “wipe dalvick cache”.
- The system will now be wiped out, so that’s why the backup has been recommended before.
- Up next, return to recovery main menu: select “+++go back+++”.
- And choose “install zip from SD card” and “choose zip from SD card”.
- Pick the update file and flash the same.
- Optional: repeat this operation for applying the Google Apps package.
- When the installation process ends, from recovery select “+++go back+++” and “reboot system now”.
- You are done.
In some cases after flashing the custom ROM, when rebooting the first time, your handset might get stuck in a boot loop (if the first boot takes longer than usual, don’t panic, there is nothing wrong with your device); if that happens, follow:
- Reboot in recovery once more.
- From there select “wipe data factory reset” and “wipe cache partition”.
- Return and reboot.
- Optional: if needed now you can restore the previous software (only if you had made a Nandroid backup as indicated). So, use the recovery menu and select “backup and restore”.
- For resolving any other issues or problems use our dedicated step by step guide.
So, that was it, now you know almost everything about custom ROMs for Android and how to install such a firmware on your smartphone or tablet. Remember to choose only the stable platforms that come with important features and capabilities. In this way you can speed up your handsets and improve the performances for receiving better results and an upgraded web browsing experience. If you want to talk with us or if you have something to share with our team, don’t hesitate and use the comments area from below. We will assist you as soon as possible; also don’t forget to check our latest new and Android related tips, tricks and step by step guides.